Cytech technical e-bike, also known as Cytech e-bike, is designed for bicycle dealers, sales staff and technicians who are looking to stock, sell and service e-bikes.
The course has been introduced to fit in line with the growing trend within the cycles market, to provide the skills needed to set up and repair a broad spectrum of electric bicycles along with an understanding of the specific standards and legal aspects that apply to them.
The first Cytech technical e-bike course was delivered in May 2016 - read the article here.
Course structure and delivery
The four day Cytech technical e-bike course is currently only available at ATG Training.
The course lasts for four days and has been specifically designed to help prepare businesses for the predicted rise in e-bike maintenance over the coming years.
Subjects covered are:
- Safe working practices when dealing with batteries and electrical units
- Understanding and working to the legal standards and being able to differentiate between type approved and non-type approved e-bikes
- Basic electrical theory and terminology including understanding wiring diagrams and multimeter use
- Soldering iron and electrical crimps use with best practice for installing electrical connectors
- Diagnosis and use of ‘intelligent’ diagnostics systems, as well as testing and fault finding of the components
- Removal and installation of components, and test rides of bikes with the motor either at the front, rear hub or built into the frame
- Communicating service work completed to the customer
Who is Technical e-bike for?
The course is suitable for those who are looking to stock and repair e-bikes.
From a mechanical perspective there is still a lot of hesitance towards working on an e-bike as although fundamentally it is the same as a regular bike, the motor and battery provide a new challenge.
Candidates should have a good level of cycle mechanic knowledge prior to completing the course. Ideally, candidates should possess a Cytech technical two qualification or have 3-4 years industry experience.
How much does this course cost?
The Cytech technical e-bike training and assessment course are available to both cycle shop employees and members of the public.
You can see all Cytech courses and prices in the Cytech price list section.
Government funding may be available for candidates who meet funding criteria. Speak to ATG Training for details.